The education committee of the SMAI was created on the initiative of President Michel Théra in 2001. At the time it looked essential, and probable it is still more essential today, that the community of applied mathematicians intervenes in a constructive way in the debates and decisions concerning teaching of mathematics at various levels. This committee has a list of goals, among them to develop and improve the information towards the teachers of scientific disciplines at all levels, to feed the reflection on the contents and the evolution of the education of applied mathematics at the university level, taking into account the needs of the research in our society, and also to be a consulting partner and a strength of proposition.
Composition of the Education Committee of the SMAI (in the course of renewal)
The responsability of this committee was confided in january 2008 to Edwige Godlewski, nominated Education Delegate. This committee is in the course of renewal.
- Education Delegate: Edwige Godlewski (godlewski ’at’ ann.jussieu.fr)
- "Socle L" : E. Godlewski (godlewski ’at’ ann.jussieu.fr) and B. Lucquin (lucquin ’at’ ann.jussieu.fr)
- Representation of the SMAI within the group ’Action Sciences’ : J.-M. Bonnisseau (Jean-Marc.Bonnisseau ’at’ univ-paris1.fr)
- IREM-CFEM (representing SMAI in the scientific committe of the ’Instituts de Recherche sur l’Enseignement des Mathématiques’ and at the ’Commission française pour l’enseignement des mathématiques’) : S. M. Kaber (kaber ’at’ ann.jussieu.fr)
- Evolution and future of the XXentrance examination for high school teachers (Capes, Agrégation, IUFM,...) : J.-B. Hiriart-Urruty (jbhu ’at’ mip.ups-tlse.fr)
- Teaching applied mathematics in developing countries : B. Lucquin (lucquin ’at’ ann.jussieu.fr)
- Animaths and various animation actions directed towards the young : S. Cordier (Stephane.Cordier ’at’ univ-orleans.fr)
- Commission des Titres de l’Ingénieur (CTI) : D. Matignon (denis.matignon ’at’ isae.fr)
Objectives of the teaching and didactics SMAI committee
The Education Committee of the SMAI was created on the initiative of President Michel Théra in 2001. The report of the Comité National d’évaluation (CNE) on applied mathematics confirmed the essential role of this field in the mathematics syllabus at the university level. Being a "service" discipline in various scientific and technological cursus, they play also an important part in the dominantly mathematical cursus at the university.
At the time when the university studies are being harmonized at the european level, deep changes are taking place and this will be the occasion of an in-depth reform of our syllabuses. This is specially important when in every country one can notice an increasing loss of attraction of the students for the scientific studies. It is then an important moment and the community of applied mathematicians has to participate in this debate and take part in the decisions to be made.
Among the goals of this committee we find the development of information towards teachers of science at all levels about the job opportunities created by the mathematics studies in general, and by applied mathematics in particular ("math jobs"), teaching and non teaching positions; to help in the reflection about the contents and the evolution of mathematics education (and applied mathematics) at the university level, taking into account the needs of our society, to be a consulting partner and a strength of proposition for the decision makers at the Ministery level, where programs are decided for high schools, etc.